Access to Psychology-controlled spaces may be requested only by faculty, staff, and graduate students directly affiliated with the department. For access to spaces not specifically assigned to the individual making the request, prior authorization will be obtained from the responsible faculty or administrative personnel before access is granted.
The following are reminders of the procedure and policy for access requests:
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. The following information should be included for EACH person needing access:
- Last Name (Spelled correctly!)
- First Name (Again, spelled correctly!)
- UO Role (for example: Faculty, Graduate Student, Undergraduate Student, or Staff)
- UO ID Number (Nine digits)
- All of the numbers / characters on the BACK of the UO ID (If there are no numbers on the back of an individual’s card, it is not Prox-enabled and must be exchanged for a new one at the card office. There is no fee for the exchange.)
- A list of the PSY buildings and spaces to which access is requested (ROOM NUMBERS are actually best for both Straub and Lewis.)
When you send your email, please remember the following:
- The email should be sent from your uoregon.edu account.
- Information should be sent as plain text in the body of the email. Tables and other special formats are often jumbled or lost in transit.
- If faculty approval is required, we’ll take care of that.
- Individuals listed in your request should NOT be cc’d on the message. UO ID numbers and the respective serial numbers are personal information and are considered confidential. These items are collected, stored, and shared only where and when required.
- By default, faculty and graduate students are granted access to all common outside entrances, common areas of the building, and areas in which they have assigned space. Additional access to self-contained clinic and research spaces must be requested.
- When approved for undergraduate students and temporary employees, Lewis Prox and Locknetics access is granted by area/floor and is limited to 8:00 am until 8:00 pm daily.
- When approved for undergraduate students and temporary employees, Straub Prox and Locknetics access is granted by area/floor and is limited to 7:00 am until 9:00 pm daily.
- Prox and Locknetics access for undergraduate students must be renewed each September.
Processing and Distribution
- Keys and access are ordered by PSY at least once a week. Unfortunately, we are not able to submit orders the moment each request is received and orders are not filled instantly upon submission. Depending upon the type of access requested, it may take 3-5 business days before keys can be picked up or electronic access is enabled.
- If the individual for whom a key is ordered has a personal PSY mailbox, the key paperwork will be delivered to that box by default.
- If the individual for whom a key is ordered does NOT have a personal PSY mailbox, the key paperwork will be delivered to the associated lab’s mailbox by default.
- Individuals with key paperwork can pick up keys at the UO ID Card Services & Key Access Office located on the ground level of the EMU, in Room #002, near the Ticket Office.
Straub Hall Public Access Hours
- The public entrances and main floor of Straub are scheduled to be unlocked 07:00-21:00 weekdays excluding holidays.
- The doors and elevator access from the public stairwells into the basement, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floors are scheduled to be unlocked 08:00-17:00 weekdays excluding holidays. The back stairs are not intended for public access and are locked at all times.
- The door between the 2nd floor classroom portion of the building and the 2nd floor office/lab portion of the building is scheduled to be unlocked 08:00-17:00 weekdays excluding holidays.
- Prox cards for PSY faculty and graduate students allow access to Straub’s main front door and all interior floors from any of the buildings four stairwells and the main elevator… with the following exceptions:
- Only faculty and graduate students with developmental research lab keys have prox access to the first floor developmental area from the north back stairwell.
- Only faculty and graduate students with clinic keys have prox access to the first and second floor clinic areas from the south back stairwell.
- Please note that the prox readers are finicky. Some card and reader combinations work well. Some don’t. You may need to try one and/or more of the following tricks to get your card to read:
- Hold your “naked” card flat against a reader.
- Move your card slowly across the face of the reader.
- Try both sides of the card.
- Try the card more than once.
- If the reader beeps when the card is presented, your card is recognized. However, the door will only unlock if your access to the associated space has been authorized and programmed.
- If the reader beeps when your card is presented and you hear a mechanical click or hum coming from the door hardware, your card has been recognized; your access has been authorized and programmed; and you have a few seconds to open the door or select your elevator button.